Sunday, December 15, 2013

One Year in Brazil--A Quick Look Back

After one of CR's BBQ's. Photo by vitophotography.com
This week has marked a huge mile stone-- one year in Brazil! Over the course of this past year I have had some pretty remarkable experiences. From the beaches of Rio,to the tropical mountains of Friburgo, and to the southern City of Gramado I have had a chance to train and enjoy Brazil. This week I wanted to get a bit nostalgic and take a look back at some of the great experiences on and off the mat.
Post training with Dennis.

I have had the pleasure of training in some of Rio's most famous gyms--Nova Uniao, Carlson Gracies, Gordo's, X-gym, and Brazilian Top Team to name a few. At every academy I was greeted with smiles and welcomed warmly to the mats. Each gym had a different style, atmosphere, and unique way of approaching the arte suave. I have had memorable rolls with Dennis Asche, Gordo, Braga Neto, Kit Dale, Roni Yahya, plus I have rolled with countless other black belts whom have amazed me with their techniques. I even had the chance to roll in the middle of the jungle in Alex Davis' open air dojo. The world of jiujitsu has been opened up to me and I have a greater understanding and appreciation for the art as a result.

My remarkable training experiences hasn't just been in BJJ either. I have trained with (and sometimes gotten my butt kicked by) some of the best in the world of MMA. I have trained with guys like Eric Silva, Paulo Thiago, Gleison Tibau, Rony Markes, and Milton Vierra. In addition I have been on the mats and in the gym with some of the best like Jose Aldo, Dudu Dantes, and Jacare. Working out with guys like that, plus their excellent trainers has raised my game to higher levels. Not only that but seeing how the best in the world train has given me a much better idea of what it takes to be at the op of he sport.
Rolling at CR. Thank you to both Connection Rio
and Senki Kimonos for helping me live the dream.

In wrestling I have had a super fight for charity with one of the Brazilian National Team members and trained with Olympians and world class competitors at the FILA Training Center. More importantly I have been able to have a direct impact of spreading the sport of wrestling by helping Rio's youth train and compete in wrestling by working with the Antoine Jauode and the UPP Programs. Through wrestling I have gotten into famous and exclusive gyms and programs. I had the opportunity to work directly with Brazil's paratroopers as well as the elite BOPE force. I have also helped train some great fighters, guys I never dreamed I would be able to help. I think that's one of the biggest takeaways I have had this past year in Brazil-- That I deserve to be here working with some of the best in the world.

The move here though has been about more than just training though. It's been about new life experiences with Nicole and chasing our dreams. The two of us have had some comedic follies, for instance taking the wrong bus ending up in a unknown part of the city in a storm, with Nicole getting a tarp full of water dumped on her and as I was laughing getting splashed with dirty street water. We been to some great parties- New Year's on Copa Beach, Rock in Rio, Carnival, Cabaret Lounge champagne party, and see many great BBQ's here at the CR house- and relaxed along Rio's famous beaches. We have been able to see some of social issues that affect Brazil and how they attempting to be solved. Touring Complexo Alemao with BOPE and BBQ's in some of Rio's other impoverished communities have enlightened us to issues we had never been exposed to in the States. We have met and made friends with some great people from all over the world here at CR. It has really enlightened us to new ways of thinking and cultures, and has given us great friends to visit in the future. We have made memories together that will last us a lifetime.

In the past year I have grown a lot here in Rio, both on and off the mats. At the beginning of the move I had set a lot of goals for myself one of them being that in order for me to ever truly feel like I lived in Brazil we (Nicole and I) had to live here for at least a year. I realize it was a bit of a naive statement, but it was a goal I had set. Well the year marker has come and gone and we are still here going stronger than ever. I am excited to see what the next year brings as Brazil continues to feel more like home and less like a foreign experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment